Would you like to know how to make Chinese spring rolls? Spring rolls make a great appetizer or afternoon snack. Serve them with a sweet and sour sauce or any type of Asian dip or condiment. These delicious meat and vegetable rolls are enjoyed in many countries and each one has their own way of making them. These were named spring rolls because many cultures like to add sprouts to the filling, which are harvested in the spring. Vietnamese spring rolls differ from Chinese spring rolls and have a uniquely different taste. Make with your choice of meat or create a vegetarian version for family members who do not eat meat. These spring rolls are easy to make and make a great addition to any Asian style meal.
To make Chinese spring rolls you will need:
- 1 lb ground or shredded beef, chicken, pork or shrimp
- 8 sheets of Phyllo dough, spring roll or wonton wrappers
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 chopped green onions
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 a red or green pepper, minced (optional)
- Heat a wok or heavy skillet on medium heat. Cook the meat and vegetables in oil until soft.
- Add garlic, soy sauce and sugar to the meat and vegetable mixture and cook for one more minute.
- Remove the pan from heat and let cool about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Lay one sheet of Phyllo dough or wonton wrapper on a clean surface. Turn it to make a diamond shape in front of you.
Take a spoon full of filling and place near the end of the diamond-shaped wrapper, leave enough room to fold the dough over the filling. Spread a little of the beaten egg along the sides and edges of the dough to seal it. Take the edge, roll it over the filling, and tuck under. Fold the two sides in toward the middle like you are making an envelope. Tuck in the sides and continue to roll to the end.
- Repeat these steps with the remaining spring rolls, and set the completed rolls on a plate.
- Heat approximately four cups of oil in a fryer or large pan. Place one or two spring rolls in to cook at a time. Cook each one until lightly golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve with your favorite dip or with steamed vegetables, noodles or fried rice.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”