It's easy to learn how to make Chinese white rice. Chinese white rice is a great side dish to serve with many meals, like stir-fry, grilled meats and kabobs. Use leftover cooked white rice to make Chinese fried rice.
To make Chinese white rice, you need:
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 3/4 cup water
- A fine-mesh sieve
- A medium-sized saucepan with a tight-fitting lid
- To make Chinese white rice, first rinse the rice with water and drain in a fine mesh sieve. Rinsing removes excess starch and impurities from the rice grains and is the secret to proper Chinese white rice.
- Measure water and add to saucepan set over high heat. Add rice to the saucepan.
- Allow the water to come to a rolling boil over high heat. Turn the heat down and simmer until water level lowers to the level of the rice and steam holes begin to appear on the surface of the rice. Turn the heat down to very low and cover the saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Don't lift the saucepan lid during cooking.
- Cook for approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Carefully lift the lid and check rice for doneness.
- Turn off the heat. Fluff rice gently with a fork and serve.
One cup of raw white rice yields 3 1/2 cups of cooked white rice. Store leftover rice in the refrigerator and use it later to make Chinese fried rice or to add to soups. After rinsing, drained rice can remain in the sieve for up to an hour before cooking. Chinese rice that seems too dry after cooking may be old—use a tablespoon or two more water next time for better results.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
10 Things to Talk About This Weekend
Ebola, Brad Pitt, and giant spiders.