How To Make Chow Mein
There are some key steps to knowing how to make chow mein. This article covers these steps and shares a wonderful recipe from Chef Emeril Lagasse’s kitchen on FoodNetwork.com--Emeril Lagasse's own Fall River Chow Mein.
Ingredients you'll need:
- 1/4 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. celery salt
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth or stock
- 3 tbsp. of cornstarch
- 2 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet (optional, for color only)
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. dark corn syrup
- 1 cup celery sliced on a diagonal 1/4 inch thick
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Package of Fall River Noodles
- Re-hydrate the shiitake mushrooms in boiling water and let them soak for five minutes. Remove the mushrooms and reserve 1/3 cup of the liquid.
- Over medium heat, heat one tablespoon of vegetable oil and add 1/2 cup of the onions and cook till onions are soft.
- Add garlic and celery salt and saute for about one minute.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of the beef broth and the reserved liquid from soaking the mushrooms and bring to a boil.
- In a separate bowl whisk the rest of the beef broth, cornstarch, Kitchen Bouquet and soy sauce together until combined completely.
- Add dark corn syrup and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for five minutes or until slightly thickened and keep warm.
- Add the remaining vegetable oil to a wok and heat over high heat
- Add the rest of the onions and celery and cook until soft.
- Add chicken, salt and pepper and cook about one to two minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of sauce into chicken and vegetables and coat with the sauce.
- On a serving platter put Fall River Noodles then add chicken and vegetables on top.
- Pour the rest of the sauce over the noodles, chicken and vegetables and toss, making sure sauce coats everything
- This recipe uses vegetable oil; however, sesame oil can also be used.
- Choosing to use a low sodium broth or stock is not solely for health benefits. It also allows you to control the salt you put in this dish.
- While Fall River Noodles are good, you could also use Chinese egg noodles or other Asian noodles.