How To Make Corn Bread
Learn how to make cornbread to serve with homemade chili or your other favorite main dishes. This recipe yields a sweet, fluffy cornbread that tastes great served warm with butter. If you have a cast iron skillet, use it to get a good crust. Leftover cornbread is useful for making cornbread dressing. Just crumble the leftover and store in a freezer bag in your freezer until needed. This recipe is also useful for making a batch of cornbread muffins.
To make cornbread, you need:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter
Steps to make corn bread:
Heat your oven to 450°F. Lightly grease a seasoned cast iron skillet with cooking spray, or coat a nine-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, granulated sugar and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Set the dry ingredients aside.
- Beat the 2 eggs and melt the butter. Combine the eggs, melted butter and milk.
- Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. The batter may be thick. Add a little more milk if the batter seems too thick. Pour the cornbread batter into greased cast iron or other baking pan.
- Bake the cornbread for about eighteen minutes. Check to see if it looks golden brown and set in the middle. Leave the cornbread in the oven a few minutes more if necessary, otherwise, remove and serve promptly.