Learning how to make cube steak isn't terribly difficult. Cube steak can be difficult to make if you don't know what to do to make it tender. Cube steak itself is simply round steak that's been put through a machine to make it more tender. It is a cheaper cut of beef and therefore requires some extra attention to make it well. This recipe comes complete with an easy white gravy to smother the steaks with.
To make cube steak, you'll need:
- 4 cubed steaks
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup flour, divided
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- Drizzle olive oil into a frying pan to cover the bottom, and set on medium high heat. If the pan begins to smoke, turn the heat down a little.
- Place one cup of flour on a plate. Put a little salt and pepper in with the flour to taste (about a quarter teaspoon each).
- Press both sides of each steak into the flour coating mixture. Coat well. Prepare another plate lined with a paper towel and set it aside.
- Add each steak to the frying pan and cook well each side until very golden brown. When done browning, place each steak on the paper towel plate to absorb grease.
- Add 1 1/2 cup of milk to the frying pan with a dash more salt and pepper. Stir constantly with a whisk to stir out lumps. The liquid will thicken quickly into a wonderful white gravy. Add steaks to pan, remove from heat and spoon some of the gravy onto the top of each steak. Makes four servings.
Mashed potatoes or plain noodles with gravy served over them would go wonderfully well with this dish, as would some brown rice or dinner rolls. If your gravy has lumps you cannot get rid of, use a strainer or pour into a jar with a tight seal and shake well.