Learning how to make Deer Summer Sausage can be fun. Making the sausage can be a project for the family and the end results are a nice treat. There are many different recipes available but it is often the simplest recipe that will taste the best.
To make your deer summer sausage you will need the following ingredients:
- 5 lbs. venison
- 5 lbs. pork
- 5 TBS salt
- 3 TBS. Tender Quick
- 2 TBS. Onion Powder
- 2 TBS. Garlic Powder
- 2 TBS. Black Pepper coarsely ground
- 1 TBS. Mustard Seed
- 2 TBS. Sugar
- 2 tsp. Nutmeg
- 2 tsp. Basil
- 2 tsp. Coriander Seed
- 1 cup ice water
- 1/2 Cup Soya Protein Concentrate
You will also need a meat smoker to get the best results. You could use liquid smoke added into the recipe but the sausage will not have the same flavor and will not be as good. The sausage casings can normally be purchased from a butcher shop.
The steps you need to make the deer summer sausage is as follows:
- Grind all of the meat together. Making sure the meat is kept very cold. If you need to take a break, place the meat in the refrigerator.
- Add spices and ice water,.
- Mix all of the ingredients well then grind again.
- Place in a bow, cover and Refrigerate for 48 hours, this will make the deer summer sausage nice and cold
- Stuff into synthetic casings. Follow the manufacturer directions for preparing the casings and the time they need to soak.
- Place the rolls of sausage in Smoker at 130 degrees F. for 2 hours with no smoke.
- Turn the smoker up to 150 degrees and smoke for an additional 4 hours with a heavy smoke.
- Increase the smoker temperature to 200 degrees and smoke for approximately 1 hour.
- Using a meat thermometer push into the center if the sausage roll, when the internal temperature of the meat is 150 degrees, remove from smoker. Be careful not to burn your hands, use a holder.
- Run cold water over the sausage to cool and stop the internal cooking. This is very important to keep the sausage from drying out
- Hang the sausage rolls at room temperature for a couple hours. If you have no place to hang them, then place them on a rack.
- Refrigerate the rolls of deer sausage over night.
- The deer summer sausage is now ready to cook, eat and enjoy.
- The summer sausage should be stored in the freezer.
This will make delicious deer summer sausage that the whole family will enjoy!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Meet Madeline Brewer, Netflix Princess
The Orange is the New Black and Hemlock Grove beauty discusses fitness and dating.
The 5 Types of Beer You Should Know
Get familiar with these basics, and you'll be ready to rule the craft-beer universe.