Learn how to make deli style roast beef at home following a few easy steps. Enjoy this delicious meat for much less per pound than you’d pay at the deli counter. Look for a good-quality roast and spice it up with any seasonings you desire.
- Eye of round roast
- Vegetable oil
- Fresh ground pepper
- Kosher or sea salt
- Spices (onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, etc.)
- Sharp knife
- Roasting pan
- Meat thermometer
- Aluminum foil
- Preheat your oven to 475 degrees and line the pan with aluminum foil. The foil will make the pan easier to clean.
- Rinse the roast well under cold water and dry thoroughly. Coat it with oil and rub the roast liberally with salt and pepper. Add any other spices as desired.
- Put the roast in the oven for 30 minutes. After that time, decrease the temperature to 300 degrees for another ten minutes.
- Use the meat thermometer to see how it’s coming along. It should be 120 degrees for rare, 135 for medium, and 160 for well-done. When your roast reaches the desired temperature, remove from the oven and allow it to rest for fifteen minutes.
- Slice the meat as thinly as possible across the grain. Store in the fridge tightly covered for a few days.
If you have a large amount of meat left over, freeze some for a later date. Place the pre-sliced roast beef in portion-sized freezer bags with the air squeezed out. When you’re ready to enjoy the roast beef, take out a bag and thaw it in the fridge for a few hours.