If you need extra storage in your dining room, you may want to look into how to make a dining table storage bench. A storage bench is a great place to store those extra place mats, napkins or anything else you may want close at hand. A dining table storage bench is also a great place to store children’s crayons and coloring books to keep them occupied while you are making dinner and can quickly be put away when it is time to eat.
To build a dining table storage bench, you will need:
- Tape measure
- Combination square
- Circular saw or table saw
- Miter saw
- Wood glue
- Choose a size. Your first step is to choose the size of your dining table storage bench. Begin by deciding if you want a free standing storage bench or a banquette style bench. Next, measure the length of your dining room table. If you are building a banquette style bench you will need to measure the width as well.
- Plan your design. The basic design is a rectangular shape with a lid that opens and closes. You will have to choose a style and trim pieces that fit into the already existing décor.
- Measure and cut. Once you have you design set, you need to measure and cut your pieces for the dining table storage bench. A circular saw can be used; however, a table saw provides greater stability and straighter cuts.
- Assembly. Start by assembling the basic frame for your dining table storage bench. Once completed attach the sides, front and back. Attach the hinges to the inside back of the storage bench and then to the top of the bench by flipping it over and setting the bench on the top. After the top is attached, put the bottom on.
- Trim. Add any trim pieces to your dining table storage bench. If you built a banquette style bench, now is the time to attach it to the wall. Throw on the cushions and its ready for use.