Learning how to make dry cat food can greatly increase the health of your cat. Cat food purchased from the store contains artificial flavoring and coloring which can be harmful to your pet. Pet food can sit on the store shelf until stale and no longer contains the nutrients it once did. Knowing how to make dry cat food also ensures that you are aware of exactly what goes into your cat.
To learn how to make dry cat food, you will need:
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups soy flour
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup nonfat dry (organic) milk
- 1 half cup brewer's yeast
- 1 (fifteen ounce) can mackerel or salmon
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cod liver oil
2 cups of water as needed
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In another bowl, mash the fish into small pieces. Mix in the oil and water. Add the oil, water, and fish to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Fish is a prime ingredient when learning how to make dry cat food that your cat will enjoy.
- The dough is tough, so use your hands. Roll the dough out to one fourth inch thickness and cut into one fourth inch pieces.
- Mound the bits onto greased cookie sheets and bake for 25 minutes, or until all pieces are baked. You can also bake in a single layer if you have that much time to invest. During baking, occasionally toss the pieces with two wooden spoons, so they brown evenly.
- Turn the heat off and allow the dry cat food to stay in the oven overnight to harden. Making sure the dry cat food is very hard will ensure that tartar does not build up on your cat's teeth. This is one of the most important parts of how to make dry cat food.
If you do not want to make and store that much kibble at once, you can half or even cut the recipe down to a third of the ingredients. You can also freeze a surplus of the dry food for longer storage.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.