Learning how to make dumplings from flour is a very simple way to add variety and flavor to soups, stews and other dishes. Making dumplings is simple and requires little supplies or time. Dumplings can also be made to replace pasta in almost any dish.
Ingredients Needed to Make Dumplings
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ cup Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Cooking Oil
- Boiling Water, Broth, Soup or Stew
Procedure to Make Dumplings
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl.
- Mix together milk and oil. Pour liquid mixture into flour mixture. Stir well until combined.
- Bring water, broth, soup or stew to a boil. Drop spoonfuls of dumpling mixture on top of boiling liquid.
- Cover pot and simmer over low heat. Allow to simmer for 10 to 12 minutes. Dumplings are finished when a toothpick inserted in the center of a dumpling comes out clean.
Tips For Make Dumplings with Added Flavor
Plain dumplings are fine for adding to stews and soups, but flavored dumplings can be eaten as is, added to clear broth or used in soups for even more flavor. Any herbs and spices can be added to the dumplings for added flavor. Simply add any of the following ingredients or combinations to the flour prior to mixing in the liquid.
- Replace ½ cup flour with ½ cup cornmeal. Add 2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese and 2 Tablespoons parsley.
- Add 1 Tablespoon parsley, basil or dill weed.
- Add ½ teaspoon rosemary, ½ teaspoon thyme and ¼ teaspoon oregano.
- Add 2 or 3 crushed garlic cloves or pureed onion.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.