Learn about how to make dumplings for stew from scratch and impress family and friends with a delicious meal. Dumplings are cooked on top of a stew just before serving. They are individual bread portions that are light and fluffy that also absorb some of the flavor from the stew. This makes dumplings a wonderful addition to any meal where stew is the main course. It's possible to make dumplings using a mix, but when you make dumplings from scratch, the extra effort is worth it.
To make dumplings for stew from scratch, you will need:
- 3 tablespoons shortening or lard
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt, depending on taste
- 3/4 cup whole milk or buttermilk
- Add the dry ingredients and shortening or lard to a bowl. Use two knives in a cutting action using the blades like scissors to cut the fat into the flour, baking powder and salt. Continue the cutting motion until the mixture is a fine crumb consistency.
- Add the milk. Stir the milk into the flour and shortening mixture. Stir until well incorporated. Use buttermilk if desired for dumplings from scratch that taste slightly tangy and rich. Otherwise, use whole milk that has more fat content to give the dumplings a rich taste.
- Drop the dumplings on the stew. Make sure the stew is ready to eat and all of the ingredients are cooked thoroughly. Drop the dumplings with a spoon on top of the stew on a stable surface of meat or vegetables. Avoid dropping the dumplings in the liquid or the bottoms of the dumplings will be soggy.
- Cook the dumplings uncovered. Cook for ten minutes uncovered to let the dumplings become light and fluffy.
- Cover the dumplings. Cook the dumplings for another ten minutes with a lid added to the pan. This additional cooking time will cook the dumplings through.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!