How To Make A Duvet Cover
If you can sew a straight line on a sewing machine, you can learn how to make a duvet cover. Duvet covers can be fast and economical to make by using two flat sheets and an old comforter. Sheets can be purchased in a higher thread count than many comforters and are usually less expensive. They are also longer than the same size comforter, so they work well as a duvet cover. A new duvet can completely change the look of any bedroom and can help you recycle an old comforter or blanket.
To make a duvet cover you'll need:
- A comforter or blanket
- Two flat sheets the size of the comforter
- A sewing machine
- Tape measure
- Straight pins
- Measure the comforter. One inch should be added to the length of the comforter for seam allowances.
- Cut the sheets to size. Cut off the hem at the top of the sheets. Don't cut anything off of the bottom of the sheet, this will create a finished edge.
- Place the right sides together. Pin along the top of the sheets and down both sides. Place pins one inch from the edges. Leave the bottom open and unpinned.
- Use a straight stitch on the sewing machine. Sew a 1/2 inch seam along the top and sides of the duvet cover.
- Turn the duvet cover right sides out. Add self-stick velcro to the inside, open edges of the duvet.
- Place the comforter in the duvet. Secure it closed with the velcro. Use the side with the velcro as the top of the duvet cover.
Tips: You can sew the velcro on the duvet cover instead of using self-stick. You can also use snaps or buttons to close your duvet cover. Using designer sheets is another way of getting a unique look for your duvet cover.