How To Make Earrings Out Of Soda Cans
Looking for instructions on how to make earrings out of soda cans? Soda can earrings are a great way to recycle old aluminum cans. With the right tools, a bit of creativity and the the step-by-step instructions below, you can learn how to make fun and unique soda can earrings.
To make soda can earrings, you will need:
- Soda can
- Utility knife or scissors
- Hook earring wires
- Round nose pliers
- Steel wool
- Thumb tack
Shape pattern (optional)
- Wash the empty soda can. Nobody wants sticky earrings so be sure to wash your soda can before making the earrings.
- Cut the can using a utility knife. Once you've made the first cut into the can, you can continue to open it completely with scissors.
- Create your soda can earring's shape. Depending on what shape of earrings you plan to create, the way to cut the shape will vary. For earrings that look like cones, cut the aluminum in an oval shape. If you want to make flowers or hearts, use a pattern.
- Smooth the rough edges of the aluminum to avoid cuts. To do this, simply sand the edges with a piece of steel wool until the edges are smooth.
- Twist or bend the aluminum to give it a 3-D effect. Do this with a pair of round nose pliers. Even if you want the earrings to look 'flat', give the edges a bit of an inwards curve for a slightly rounded effect.
- Punch a hole through the aluminum using a thumbtack. This hole should be in the top-center of the earring so that it hangs straight from the ear lobe.
- Insert the earring hook through the hole. Use your round nose pliers to bend the hook so that it is securely fastened to the earring.
- Seal the earrings using a spray lacquer or brush-on lacquer. This will give the earrings a shiny finish (like real jewelry) and will protect the wearer from the dreaded black or green discoloration brought on by wearing 'cheap' jewelry.