Learning how to make egg noodles can be time consuming, but it is well worth the effort. If you have never eaten fresh egg noodles, you will be amazed at the difference in taste over dried or even frozen egg noodles. You can simply mix all the ingredients by hand, or pulse them in a food processor if you're in a hurry. When cutting and shaping the finished product, you can cut by hand, or use a pasta machine if you have one.
To make egg noodles, you will need:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus one teaspoon cold butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- A large bowl
- A rolling pin
- A sharp knife
- Beef or chicken stock
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, butter and salt until the mixture resembles crumbs. During this step be careful not to smash the ingredients together too hard in between your fingers. Learning how to make egg noodles is messy, but fun!
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the lightly-beaten eggs. Use a fork to gradually work the flour mixture into the eggs. Continue in this way until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough into quarters. Roll out one quarter on a lightly-floured surface with the rolling pin, sprinkling flour on the surface of the dough when the roller begins to stick. Keep doing this until the dough is so thin you can almost see through it. Repeat with each quarter.
- Hang the rolled-out dough on a rack to dry for about twenty minutes. When learning how to make egg noodles, be sure you don't over dry the dough.
- After twenty minutes, roll each quarter up and slice into the desired thickness of the noodles you want. Try to make all the noodles the same size. Making egg noodles that are all the same size is much more professional looking.
- Bring the beef or chicken stock to a boil and add the noodles, being sure not to crowd them. Stir often until the broth reaches a full boil again to assure the noodles won't stick together. If they will be too crowded, only cook a quarter or half at a time, depending on the size of your pot and the amount of broth. Cook for twenty minutes and serve. Making egg noodles will be a skill you and your family will enjoy for years to come!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How to Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, master these skills. (Yes, several are car-related.)