How To Make Egg Sushi
The main ingredient to use when you make egg sushi, or Tamagoyaki, is a sweet egg omelet and is traditionally eaten at the end of a meal as dessert. Traditionally, egg sushi consisted of a ground white fish, rice wine, bonito broth and grated local potato root. These omelets were cooked over very low heat and took about an hour to cook. The ingredients and cooking time created a fluffy, thin omelet which would stick to rice without using a belt to hold it together. Very few restaurants still make egg sushi in the traditional form.
Modern egg sushi is made with a thick omelet consisting of egg, bonito broth and sugar. While similar in texture, the look and taste of modern egg sushi is much different, and easier to make, than the traditional version. You can also make egg sushi to suit your individual tastes.
Supplies Needed to Make Egg Sushi
· Non-stick frying pan
· Whisk or fork
· Small bowl
· Measuring spoons
Ingredients Needed to Make Egg Sushi
· 4 eggs
· 1 Tablespoon sugar
· 1 teaspoon soy sauce
· 1 teaspoon rice wine
· Vegetable oil
· White rice
Procedures to Make Egg Sushi
- Before you begin to make egg sushi, prepare all supplies and ingredients.
- Cook plain white rice according to package directions.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, sugar, soy sauce, and rice wine. Mix well to scramble without adding too many air bubbles to the mixture.
- Spray pan with cooking oil, or coat oil on inside of pan using a paper towel. Preheat pan on medium heat.
- Pour half of the mixture into the pan. Cook until half done. Starting at one end, begin to roll the egg to the other end of the pan. Leave it on one end of the pan.
- Add the other half of the egg mixture to the empty part of the pan. Cook until half done. Beginning with the previously rolled up portion, continue rolling, adding the new egg portion.
- Continue cooking until eggs are completely cooked throughout.
- Remove omelet from pan and cut into one inch slices.
- After you make egg sushi, return to the rice. Place the egg on top of a spoonful of hot rice to serve.
Other Names for Egg Sushi
Tamago Yaki Sushi
Fried Egg Sushi