Learn how to make enchiladas with chicken and cheese. Enchiladas are one of the favorite choices when dining out in a Mexican restaurant. They are loaded with flavor, hot sauce and cheese. Enchiladas come in many variations: cheese, beef, chicken and stacked. Making enchiladas is not easy, but with some practice you too can have a Mexican meal with these delicious enchiladas with salsa roja.
In order to make enchiladas, you will need:
- Chicken, beef or cheese.
- An enchilada sauce: red or green.
- Cheese: usually a mixture of mozzarella, cheddar and jack.
- Tortillas (corn is traditional).
- A baking dish, cooking pans and utensils.
Enchilada Recipe With Salsa Roja
- 1 chicken (2 pounds)
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 3 sage leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 10 corn tortillas
- 1/4 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 pound Monterrey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 large dried red chilies ( 2 oz)
- 1.5 cups water, hot
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Method to Preparing the Enchiladas
- The first part of making enchiladas is to make the salsa roja. Salsa roja is a red sauce that uses dried chilies instead of fresh. It is better to put on some gloves when working with hot chilies. Slit the chilies down the middle and remove the seeds (the hottest part) and the stem. Soak then in the hot water for one hour.
- Place the water, chilies, garlic and salt in a blender. Blend on high speed until they become liquidized. Set this aside. Place the oil in a skillet and heat. Add in the onion and saute the onion until it is transparent.
- Add in the cumin and the flour. Stir for a few minutes and then add in the chopped tomato. Saute all of this for a few minutes. Add the chili mixture in with the tomato mixture. Add in the chicken stock and the vinegar. Cook the salsa roja on a low simmer for approximately five minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Take the chicken and cut into eight equal parts. Put the chicken pieces in a medium size stock pot with the chicken stock, sage, salt and pepper. Add additional water to cover the chicken by several inches. Bring the water to boil and then reduce to medium heat. Cook the chicken for one hour or until the chicken is done.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the broth and allow them to cool. Shred the chicken and mix together. Set this aside. Place the olive oil in a large skillet and heat. Add in the onions and peppers and saute until soft. Add in the chicken and 1/4 cup of the salsa roja sauce, salt, and pepper and mix well. Heat the chicken mixture for one minute.
- Take the tortillas and wrap them in a cloth. Place them in the microwave for one minute to soften. Take the two cheeses and place them in a bowl and mix them together. Take another large bowl and pour the salsa roja in.
- Oil a large baking dish (9 x 13). Take one tortilla and dip it in the salsa roja sauce. Lay the tortilla down and in the center add some of the chicken mixture and some of the cheese. Gently roll up the tortilla and place it in the baking dish. You will do the same thing with each tortilla, laying them side by side.
- After all the enchiladas are stacked in the baking dish, pour the remaining salsa roja on top. Take the remaining cheese and sprinkle all around the enchiladas. Bake the enchiladas in a preheated 350 degree oven for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- You can serve these very delicious enchiladas with some tomato salsa, guacamole and sour cream. If you want to please your families even more, add some tortilla chips and large glasses of ice tea topped with slices of lemon.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.