How To Make Fabric Covered Tennis Shoes
Want to know how to make fabric covered tennis shoes? Covering shoes with fabric is an easy way to transform old shoes into a trendy new pair. Fabric comes in tons of different colors and textures. Select a fabric that expresses your unique personality. It is a great way to recycle, too!
In order to make fabric covered tennis shoes, you will need:
- Tennis shoes
- Leather glue
- Dull knife
- Craft precision knife (sold at all craft stores). These usually have aluminum handles and resemble pencils.
- Paper towel
- Select the fabric to cover your tennis shoes. A thinner fabric will work best. Patterns create the best look, especially when using an older pair of shoes.
- Remove the shoelaces from the shoes. Drape the fabric over the entire shoe. Cut even fabric to cover the shoe and its sole.
- Using the dull knife. loosen the seam of the shoe and the sole. Create a small space to be able to push the fabric into.
- Spread the glue evenly over the entire tennis shoe. Push the glue into the seam opening, too.
- Place the fabric over the side of the shoe. Pull down to flatten. Smooth out any wrinkles. Using you precision knife, trim off excess fabric and then tuck into the seam opening, Fold the top of the fabric inside the shoe and glue.
- Place fabric on each side of the shoe following the same technique used in the previous step. Both sides should now be covered with fabric.
- Use another strip of fabric to cover the toe and back heel. Trim and tuck.
- Cover the tongue of the tennis shoe with fabric. Cut to size and glue in place.
- Use the precision knife to cut our the lace holes. Allow the glue to dry completely.