Who wants to learn how to make a falafel holder? And what is a falafel holder, anyway? A popular Middle Eastern food, falafel is a deep-fried ball or patty made of ground field beans or chick peas. A falafel holder is the bread that holds it, similar to a pita wrap. Falafel was around in biblical times, originating somewhere in India. Today, it is popular in India, Pakistan and the Middle East, including Israel and Egypt. Falafel is often served as an appetizer with yogurt sauce, or as a sandwich in a pita wrap or falafel holder.
While the Internet offers an abundance of recipes for falafel, falafel bread recipes are harder to find. Meghan Telpner, a certified nutritionist and holistic lifestyle consultant for “Making Love in the Kitchen,” suggests something different. Turn your falafel batter into bread. With a few healthy ingredients on hand, it won’t take long to transform falafel into falafel holders. Use them as a sandwich wrap, and enjoy.
- 2 cups cooked (or, 1 can drained) chickpeas or fava beans
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg (or, 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with ¼ cup water)
- 1 cup grated zucchini or yellow squash
- 1 cup grated carrot
- ½ cup broccoli or kale
- ½ cup toasted chickpea or brown rice flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. These are the preliminary steps to making your own falafel holders.
- Process. Using a food processor, blend the chickpeas or fava beans, lemon juice, curry powder, sea salt and olive oil. Process the ingredients for 30 seconds or until the mixture is smooth. Transfer the chickpea puree to a bowl.
- Mix. Stir the egg, or the flaxseed and water mixture, into the chickpea puree and mix the ingredients well. Stir the zucchini, squash, carrots, and other vegetables into the mixture. Add the chickpea or brown rice flour and baking powder to the mixture last.
- Bake. Spread the mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the top of the bread is dry to the touch. Allow the bread to cool, and slice the bread into several pieces for your own home-baked falafel holders
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.