How To Make Fashionable Clothes
Learning how to make fashionable clothes can help you reap the many benefits. It's easy to go to the store and pick something off the rack to wear, but often the fit is wrong or it's not exactly what you're looking for. By sewing your own clothes, you can get just the right fit and the right look.
To make fashionable clothes, you will need:
- sewing pattern
- sewing machine
- notions, such as thread, scissors, straight pins, zippers, buttons, trims
- Get a pattern. Sewing patterns for fashionable clothes are plentiful. Choose one that is easy enough to sew but that produces fashionable clothes you want to wear. Be picky and look until you find exactly what you want.
Select the fabric and prewash it, as needed. Find the right fabric for your pattern. New fabric should usually be prewashed so it if it's going to shrink, that will happen before you make the clothes. Look at the care instructions for prewashing or ask at the fabric store when purchasing the fabric.
- Trim the pattern. Each pattern comes in one or two large pieces. You'll need to trim the pattern pieces so you have each piece for the garment you'll make.
- Trim the fabric. Layout the pattern on the fabric and cut out all of the sewing pattern pieces.
- Read the sewing pattern directions. Read completely through the instructions to see how to make the clothes. here are tips in the pattern diagrams also so look at those before you start sewing.
- Cut interfacing as needed. Seamstresses use interfacing to strengthen areas of clothes like pants waistbands and collars to give them a finished look.
- Sew the clothes. Start sewing according to the pattern directions. If you want to embellish cuffs with trim, for example, do that before sewing the cuffs to the sleeves. Make the clothes the way you want them since you are going to the trouble. The small details add to the look of fashionable clothes.
- Ensure the clothes fit. As you are sewing, try on each piece as you go to make sure the clothes will fit you correctly. The good thing about making clothes for yourself is you can take in seams or use more seam allowance as needed.
- Finish any details to the sewing. Add anything that will lend an air of fashion to the clothes such as snaps or grommets to pants or top-stitched detail to shirts.