How To Make A Fedora Hat
A fedora hat, an all time classic, is a prized possession irrespective of whether you buy one or set out to make a fedora hat yourself. However, one made on your own will definitely give you an exclusive piece to cherish. But to make one on your own, you need to determine your hat size, a suitable pattern whether it be knitted or crocheted and fabric. Also, whether you want to make one using a ready make kit, pattern videos or a traditional one using wool and then felting it. Here we are going to talk about how to make a fedora hat traditionally using wool.
• A hat block
• Heavy wool
• Sewing equipment
• Drawing pins
• Lacquer spray
• Spray for expandable foam
1. Buy a hat block or make your own. A hat block is essentially a model shape to base your hat upon. If you are making one, buy a straw hat whose shape you like, from a thrift shop and spray its inside with a lacquer spray to harden it.
2. Clear the hat of all its trimmings by cutting them off.
3. Apply glue on the entire inside of the hat completely. Then spray the inside with expandable foam and let it dry. Once it is dry, take it out to be used as a hat block and then grind with a sand paper. Then smooth the edges to make a ridge all round the base of the hat block.
4. Make a grove in your hat block and take a strong rope to put inside it and form a loop around it and then make a tie knot.
5. Steam a hat felt and put it over the hat block. Pull it down from the crown till the base of the hat block and smooth it over the hat block. This gives the desired concluding form to the Fedora hat.
6. Take the rope put earlier into the groove and put it around the exterior of the hat felt, pulled firmly so that it goes into the grove of the hat block.
7. Continue with this process of pulling the felt securely over the hat block and fitting the rope till you reach the point where it matches the shape you have in mind.
8. Let it dry for twelve to fifteen hours. remove the rope and then the felt from the block and hurray! You fedora hat is ready.
Once you know how to make a fedora hat, you can easily decorate it with decorative materials like a feather or a ribbon! You have to be very careful while smoothening out the fedora. Always make sure to begin from the top and make your way downwards. Also, if you are not sure whether to purchase or to make the block, it is way easier to procure one rather than trying to construct it.