Learning how to make flan without an oven is not a daunting task. In fact, the traditional methods of making flans do not use an oven at all! Flan is a caramel custard which consists primarily of eggs, milk and an easy to make caramel. The custard is steamed until the eggs set to the custard consistency. So making a flan with or without an oven requires steaming, which can easily be done by boiling water.
To make flan without an over you will need:
- A nine inch pie pan with rim and handles.
- A stove top pot into which the base and most of the pie pan fits
- Aluminum foil to cover the top of the pie pan.
- Ten egg yolks
- Fourteen oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- Twelve oz. can evaporated milk
- Three tablespoons of margarine
- Three tablespoons of brown sugar
- Whisk together the egg yolks, condensed milk, and evaporated milk until they are mixed thoroughly then set aside. This is the custard mixture.
- Melt the margarine in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir in the brown sugar. Keep stirring until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is smooth. This is the caramel.
- Spread the caramel evenly inside the bottom of the pie pan.
- Gently pour the custard mixture over the caramel in the pie pan. Then cover the pie pan with aluminum foil pressing the foil around the outer rim of the pie pan. Now your mixture can be called a flan.
- Fill the stove top pot about 3/4 full of water and bring it to a simmer on the stove.
- Carefully place the pie pan with the flan mixture on top of the simmering pot of water as you would a lid on the pot.
- Leave the pie pan on top of the simmering pot of water for about 65 to 70 minutes. The flan will be done when it has set which you can check by sticking a knife into the center. If the knife comes out clean it’s done. If not replace the aluminum foil cover and continue to steam for another five to ten minutes.
- When the flan has set turn off the stove burner and carefully remove the pie pan from the steaming pot.
- Take the aluminum foil cover off the flan and set it aside to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Run a knife around the sides of the flan, and invert the flan onto a serving plate.
- Serve warm or place into the refrigerator to serve cold later.
Now all you have to do is enjoy your delicious flan made without an oven! Bon appetite!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.