Learning how to make flat bread with this very easy recipe will make your family very happy and asking for more. This delicious recipe will make flat bread, also know as focaccia, with herbs and cheese for the toppings. The traditional focaccia is made with olive oil, salt and rosemary. There are many types of flat breads, including pitas, tortillas, middle eastern round flat bread and focaccia. Focaccia is used in sandwich making or simply as a side accompaniment to a meal.
- 5 cups of flour (a mixture of whole wheat and white is best)
- 1.5 Tablespoons of sugar
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages of instant dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups of warm water
- 1/3 cup of virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Toppings: virgin olive oil, rosemary, parmesan cheese, and salt
Note: If using regular active yeast, the yeast must be proofed in a small glass of warm water with 1 teaspoon of sugar. Allow to sit for five minutes before adding to the flat bread dough.
Directions to make flat bread:
- Place the flour in a large bowl and add in the salt, sugar and yeast. Mix well with a large spoon.
- Add in the olive oil and mix thoroughly with your hands to get a fine cornmeal like consistency. Gradually add in the water to make pliable flat bread dough. Add additional warm water to the flat bread as needed.
- After a dough ball has been formed, place the flat bread dough in a large mixer with dough hooks and knead the bread for 5-6 minutes until very soft. If a mixer with dough hooks is not available, knead by hand for ten minutes.
- Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and with your hands mold into a round ball and cover with some additional olive oil. Place the dough back in the bowl to rise. Cover with a towel.
- Let the dough rise until double or approximately 1 hour. Roll the dough out slightly and place in an oiled rectangular baking pan. Stretch and mold the bread out slowly using your hands and fingers. Cover the bread dough with a towel or plastic wrap for an additional 20 minutes.
- With your finger tips, make indentations all over the top of the bread. Brush the bread with virgin olive oil and then sprinkle with parmesan cheese, salt, and rosemary.
- Bake the flat bread in a very hot preheated 450° oven for approximately 15 minutes or until the bread is golden brown. Remove from the oven and cut into large squares and enjoy.
Other toppings used may include sliced onions, garlic, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes. Shredded mozzarella cheese may be used instead of parmesan cheese also.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.