How To Make A Fleece Blanket
You want to make a fleece blanket but don’t have any sewing skills. The good news is that fleece blankets are easy to make and require no special skills or a sewing machine since the fabric does not fray. Two pieces of fleece can be tied together to make an incredibly warm blanket that is great for outdoor events or used as a snuggle blanket.
To make a fleece blanket, you will need:
- 2 pieces of 1-1/2 yard long fleece fabric
- Safety pins
- Sharp fabric scissors
- Sandwich two pieces of fleece together that are 1-1/2 yards by 54 to 60 inches wide to make a fleece blanket. One piece should be on top of the other with the wrong sides of the fabric touching each other. The fleece facing up will be the top of the blanket and the fleece laying on the flat surface is the backside of the blanket.
- Cut off the side selvages and even the edges to create straight lines with both pieces of fleece being the same size. Pin the two pieces of fleece together with several safety pins to hold them in place while assembling to make a blanket.
- Cut a four inch square out of each corner making sure to cut through both layers of fleece. Use a paper template to make the squares even. Cut the blanket fringe by cutting four inch long slices around the entire blanket at a distance of one inch apart. Use a ruler to keep the slices even or create a paper template that can be cut through to make a fleece blanket.
- Tie the two layers of fringe together to make a fleece blanket by taking one fringe from the bottom and one fringe from the top to create a square knot. This will hold the blanket together. Tie knots around the entire blanket being careful to not pull the fleece fringe hard as it will stretch. This will complete the blanket.