How To Make Food Coloring
Learn how to make food coloring with everyday homemade foods. Everybody knows that food is more appealing when it is beautifully decorated. A salad plate full of color is more delectable and so is a cupcake that has more than just plain white icing. This article will show you how to make your own food coloring without any preservatives or chemicals.
In order to make homemade food coloring you will need:
- Separate bowls to mix the colors.
- Fruit and veggies to make the dye.
- Juicer and mixer to puree the foods needed for the food coloring.
- Red. When making red food coloring you can use red berries, such as strawberries and raspberries that have been pureed. This will give wonderful flavor to your icing or food. Some may use beets, tomatoes or even cranberries for the red color also. The fruits can also be boiled slightly and mashed together for a lighter shade of red.
- Green. Green food coloring is easy to make and very quick. Just smash some avocados and add a bit of the puree to your icing or candies. Another favorite is to juice some kale, spinach or Swiss chard.
- Yellow. Yellow food coloring can be made with the use of saffron or turmeric. Saffron has a wonderful taste and turmeric is a bit tart. Make sure you use just a small amount and test the food before adding to the entire batch. For a natural food coloring, just juice some yellow bell peppers.
- Orange. An easy way to make orange food coloring is with carrot juice. If you do not want to juice the carrots, you can opt for mango juice instead.
- Brown. Brown food coloring can me made by mixing a bit of cocoa with the icing or food you are trying to color. Coffee powder can also be used, but most prefer the taste of the cocoa.
- Purple. Purple color is made with purple cabbage. Just juice the cabbage and you have an instant purple food coloring. The cabbage can be boiled if you prefer and then use the juice for the purple food color.
- Blue. Blue food coloring is easy to do also. Just juice some fresh blueberries and you have instant blue food coloring that is very delicious also.
- Pink. Pink food coloring is made simply by following one of the above tips for making red food coloring and simply add in some white icing to the food coloring to make it more pinkish. One way to get a nice pink food coloring is by boiling a beet or too and then diluting the water before adding it to your food.
Making food coloring is easy with the tips in this article. Food coloring adds a splash of wonderfulness to everything you eat. Homemade food colors are healthy, tasty and yes free of harmful additives. When looking for a natural food coloring remember to match up the flavors. Spinach does not go well on cupcakes, but avocado does.