Need to know how to make a food dehydrator? A great way to preserve those fruits and veggies from your garden is to dehydrate them so you can use them during the winter months. Dehydrating fruits or vegetables is a simple process, and the best part is you do not have to go out and buy a food dehydrator. You can actually make your own food dehydrator and save some money in the process.
To make a food dehydrator, you will need:
- A fine mesh screening
- A staple gun and staples
- Nails or screws
- A hammer or drill
- Four 1 x 1 x 8 pieces of lumber
- A table saw
- One 1 x 10 x 8 piece of board
- Start off by taking the 1 x 10 x 8 board and sawing it into one-inch strips. If you happened to purchase a 1 x 1 board, then you may skip this step.
- Take one of the 1 x 1 sticks of lumber and saw it into four pieces, approximately two feet each. Cut the remaining 1 x 1 sticks into 30-inch pieces.
- Place the two-foot pieces into the shape of a square, and using either nails or screws, fasten them to one another. This will become the base of your food dehydrator.
- Take the 30-inch pieces, place them into a square shape and fasten them like you did in the previous step. This will be the top portion of your food dehydrator.
- Measure the mesh screening and cut out the pieces to properly fit each square. Make sure to leave an extra one-half to one inch overhanging on all sides.
- Use the staple gun to secure the mesh screen to all four sides of the square's wooden frame. Make sure to place the staples close enough together so there is a strong bond between the wood and the mesh screen.
- Place the cheesecloth inside the bottom of the smaller square. Lay your fruits or vegetables within the square in a single layer. Once this is done, place another piece of cheesecloth over the fruits or vegetables.
- Place the bigger wooden frame open-side down on top of the smaller box. Place the box in the sun to help the fruits and vegetables dry out. The fruits and vegetables need to be checked daily until the dryness you desire has been reached.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …