How to make fortune cookies at home is not as difficult as it sounds. Although there are several steps involved in the process, with attention to detail anyone can make fortune cookies with personalized messages.
To make fortune cookies, you will need:
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Create small strips of paper with the fortune cookie maker’s choice of sayings. These strips need to be printed, cut, folded, and ready to go before one tries to make fortune cookies at home, as once the cookie making starts there is little time to do anything else.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat; set aside.
- In a metal or glass bowl, use an electric mixer, combine the egg whites and sugar, and beat on medium speed, about 30 seconds. Add flour and salt and beat until combined. Add butter, heavy cream, and almond extract, and beat until combined. This takes about 30 seconds.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of batter onto half of the baking sheet, and spread with the back of a spoon to create a thin 5-inch circle; repeat the same steps on the other half of the sheet. Bake until the edges of the cookies turn golden brown–about 8 minutes.
- Watch closely as the cookies will get too stiff to fold if overcooked.
- Move baking sheet to a heat-resistant surface. Working as quickly as possible, slide a spatula under one of the cookies.
- Lift it up, and place it on a clean kitchen towel.
- Place the small strip of paper in the middle of the cookie.
- Using your fingers, fold the cookie in half, pinching the top together to form a loose half circle.
- Fold the half circle loosely in half again. This whole process should only take a few seconds. Once the cookie hardens, which begins to happen almost immediately, you cannot fold it. Place the fortune cookie on a kitchen towel to cool, and begin the same process with the second cookie.
- Repeat until all the batter is used up.
This is a long, tedious process but well worth the handmade effort.
It is not uncommon to burn your fingers while folding the cookies.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.