Here is how to make fried dumplings from scratch. You can buy frozen dumplings in the store, but fried dumplings from scratch offer better flavor and the option of using your favorite sweet or salty filling. If you haven’t experienced making fried dumplings from scratch, here is your chance. You’ll be proud of the results. Guaranteed.
What you'll need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus some extra flour to coat your hands and your working surface
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- ¾ cup cold water
- 1 tsp. salt
- cooking oil, as needed
- Mix the ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Place the dough on a floured surface, and kneed it for five minutes, until dough is smooth.
- If the dough is too wet, add flour, until it doesn’t stick to your hands.
- If the dough is too dry, add water by the teaspoonful, as needed, until you feel comfortable working with the dough.
- Put the dough in a container, cover, and let it sit for half an hour.
- When ready to fill the dumplings, take only half of the dough, roll it with a rolling pin into a thin 1/16-inch layer, or, use a pasta machine, if available.
- Cut out 3-inch circles, using a cookie cutter or a sharp knife. Do not worry if the circles are not perfect; when you filled the dumplings, they will look even.
- Place a teaspoonful of the filling of your choice in the center of the circle, dampen the edges with water using your fingers. Fold them in half, pressing well.
- Put the filled dumplings on a greased baking sheet or tray.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Fry three or four dumplings at a time.
- Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice.
Meat Filling for Dumplings
- 2 tbs. butter
- ½ lb. ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Saute the onion in a skillet with the butter, until lightly golden.
- Add the ground beef,and cook until brown.
- Add salt and pepper,mix well, and remove from heat.
- Let it cool before filling dumplings.
For a vegetarian alternative, substitute grated carrot, bell pepper, mushroom, onion, and finely sliced cabbage for the ground beef.
Sweet and Sour Sauce for Dumplings From Scratch
- 1 tbs. ketchup
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tbs. soy sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 tbs. rice vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 2 tsp. cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tbs. water
- Combine all the ingredients(except the cornstarch dissolved in water) in a small saucepan, over medium heat.
- Bring to a soft boil. Pour in the cornstarch and stir, until thick.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, and let it cool to room temperature.
- Drizzle over the fried dumplings.
Chile Garlic Dipping Sauce for Dumplings
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 ½ tbs. balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. red chile dried flakes
- 1 tbs. fresh ginger, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl, whisking with a fork.
- Let the flavors set for at least two hours.
- If freezing dumplings, do it when they are filled, but not cooked. Place them separately on a large baking sheet, and place the baking sheet in the freezer, without covering. Once dumplings are frozen, put them in a plastic bag and save them in the freezer.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
Beware These Telltale Signs Your Woman Is a Gold Digger
Now we ain’t sayin’ she is... but here are some clues.
As Boogie Nights Turns 20, Here’s What You Didn’t Kno...
Fun facts about Paul Thomas Anderson, Dirk Diggler, Rollergirl and more.