How To Make Fried Green Tomatoes
If you are wondering how to make fried green tomatoes, it can be done in a few easy steps. Fried green tomatoes can be enjoyed as an appetizer or snack. Frying tomatoes is easy if you already have frying experience.
To make fried green tomatoes, you will need:
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 beaten egg yolk with 1 tsp. water
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. dill weed
- Cooking oil
- Slice your tomatoes. Using a sharp knife, slice your tomatoes. A dull knife will make the tomato squeeze and release juices. Make sure the slices are no more than a quarter inch thick. Be sure that the tomatoes are cut evenly so that they can cook evenly. After slicing the tomato, place the slices on a paper towel. These will absorb the excess moisture.
- Mix your cornmeal batter. Place the cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, oregano and dill weed in a bowl. Mix it well using a spoon. If you do not mix it well the spices will not blend. This batter is what really gives the fried green tomatoes their crunchy texture.
- Batter the tomatoes. Take a tomato slice and dip it into the egg mixture. Then dip it immediately into the cornmeal mixture. Repeat this step for each tomato slice. While you are battering your tomatoes, you should allow your cooking oil to heat up in the frying pan.
- Fry the tomatoes. The most important part of making fried green tomatoes is the frying. Once the oil is already hot you can place the battered tomatoes into the pan. Fry the tomatoes until they are lightly brown. You will then flip the tomatoes and brown the other side. After they are fried, place them on a paper towel. That will allow the excess grease to drain.
- Serve your fried green tomatoes. After your tomatoes are done, serve them with any meal. They are great with grated parmesan. You can also serve them with ranch dressing or a dill sauce.