If you are wanting to know how to make a garage door that will stand out, you have come to the right place. There are many different styles of garage doors, but the one design that has a very classy look and rarely seen in “cookie cutter” communities is the carriage door garage door. This is a safer choice as well as the door cannot fall on you since it opens out, not up.
- Tape Measure
- Sand paper
- Window glass (optional)
- Putty (optional)
- Putty knife (optional)
- Latch hardware
- Set down on paper exactly what you want your garage door to look like when you are done. Be very specific as this will be the blueprint of your project. Decide if you are going to go with the picket fence look or the three panel style. Carriage doors are two garage doors that open out on hinges and have small paned windows at the top. If you do not wish to have the glass on your garage door, the glass can be replaced with wood panels instead.
- Cut wood to specifications in step one. Sand down wood with sand paper. This step minimizes injury due to splinters, improves appearance, and preps wood for sealant application.
- Assemble frame of door and attach panels. Frame the window area. You will do this whether or not you install the windows.
- Seal wood with paint, varnish, or weather sealant. This will extend the life of your garage doors.
- Attach Hinges to garage doors. Attach handles to the doors.
- Hang doors on prepared frames. Adjust the hinges to insure doors open freely.
- Measure for latches and install latch hardware.
- Install window panes or wood panels at this time. If installing the window panes, place glass in place, secure to door with 1/4 in. trim nailed in place. Use carpenter’s putty to seal the window panes. Allow to dry completely before moving doors.
- Only use paint or varnish in well ventilated area.
- Goggles will prevent eye irritation from sawdust.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.