How To Make Ginger Ale
Want to know how to make ginger ale? Ginger ale is used as a remedy for many different sicknesses or symptoms. Most people use it when they have an upset stomach, while other may use it to relieve gas. No matter what your reason is, we know it has many uses in households. Did you know you can make it on your own? The following article will show you how.
You will need the following ingredients to make ginger ale:
- Ginger root
- one gallon cold clean water
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh grated ginger root
- 1/4 tsp granular bakers yeast
- one cup table sugar
Bring together all ingredients. You will need to start with the table sugar, freshly grated ginger root, lemon, granular bakers yeast and clean water. Bottled spring water is preferred, distilled water wont work the same. The brand of bottled water does not matter any spring water will be fine.
- Gather utensil and tool that are needed. Items you will need to gather are two liter plastic soft drink bottle with cap, a funnel, box grater, dry one cup measuring cup, liquid measuring cup, paring knife, mixing spoon, hand juicer and measuring spoons. You want the measuring spoons to measure 1/4 tsp. and one Tbsp.
Insert funnel in bottle. The funnel will make adding ingredients into the bottle easier and prevent a spill. Leave the funnel in the top of the bottle through out the whole process of adding ingredients. Pour in one cup of sugar measured with your dry measuring cup.
- Add yeast. With funnel still positioned inside the bottle add 1/4 tsp. of the granular bakers yeast. Put the cap on the bottle briefly to shake the bottle. You want the yeast to be dispensed into the sugar. You should not have to shake it too hard, just a couple of slow shakes or swirls to get them mixed together.
Grate the ginger. Gently cut off the ends of the ginger off using the paring knife. Rub the ginger against the box grater until you have reached 1 1/2 Tbsp. Place the ginger inside your liquid measuring cup.
- Juice your lemon. Cut the lemons in halves and juice the halves using a hand juicer. Add lemon juice to ginger and dump inside of bottle with yeast and sugar. There may be some left over in the measuring cup, no need to worry about it, your mixture will be just right.
Clean liquid measuring Cup. Pour a small amount of the clean spring water into the measuring cup to clean it out. What you have inside the measuring cup can go inside the funnel along with the rest of the mixture. Once again, shake the bottle to dispense any of the mixture that is left on the sides of the bottle.
- Fill the rest of bottle. With remaining spring water fill bottle until spring water is done. Shake it up really well to dispense the sugar and other ingredients together. Let the ginger ale sit for 24 hours in a warm area and then refrigerate. Once it has chilled, strain the ginger ale to remove any pieces of the ginger.