Learn how to make gluten-free energy bars for cycling and take along a delicious energy-packed treat the next time you hit the road on your bike. Energy bars are full of carbs, which are a good source of energy while cycling. Energy bars are also portable, which makes them the perfect take-along cycling snack.
What you'll need:
- 1 cup almond, cashew or peanut butter
- 1 cup honey
- 2 cups roasted nuts and/or seeds of your choice
- 1 cup dried fruit
- 4 1/2 cups of gluten-free brown rice crisp cereal
- dash of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- parchment paper
- shallow baking pan
- food processor
- large sauce pan
- Prepare the pan. Line the baking pan with a piece of parchment paper to prepare it for baking the gluten-free energy bars for cycling.
- Coarsely grind nuts and fruit. Place the nuts and fruit in the food processor and pulse briefly several times until the nuts and fruit are coarsely ground.
Combine nut butter and honey. Place the nut butter of your choice and the honey in the saucepan over low heat and stir. Mix gently until the nut butter is melted and combined with the honey. Be careful not to burn the mixture. When combined, turn up the heat slightly until the mixture starts to simmer. Simmer for one minute, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and salt and mix well.
- Add the nuts and rice. Fold the nuts and fruit mixture and the brown rice cereal into the mix to make the gluten-free energy bars for cycling.
- Place in the pan. Scrape the gluten-free energy bar mixture evenly out onto the baking pan. Cover with waxed paper and press down with your hand to compress the mixture into energy bars.
- Refrigerate and cut. Refrigerate the gluten-free energy bars mixture for two to three hours, then cut into bars. Wrap the bars in plastic wrap or waxed paper and store in the refrigerator until you can take them on your cycling trip.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.