Learn how to make gluten-free pasta for a cheaper alternative to store-bought brands. Gluten-free pasta is safe for people with Celiac disease, or anyone sensitive to wheat. Use these in place of regular pasta for any recipe. Gather the ingredients and get started.
To make gluten-free pasta you’ll need:
- Gluten-free flour blend (one cup per person)
- Eggs (one egg per cup of flour)
- Xanthan gum (one tsp. per cup of flour)
- Rolling pin
- Boiling water
1. Blend the gluten-free flour, dash of salt, and xanthan gum. Place in a mound on a clean countertop and make a well in the center.
2. Add the eggs to the well, and mix in gradually starting from the center. Knead until the pasta dough forms a ball. Add flour as needed until the dough loses its stickiness.
3. Roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut into any shape necessary. Gluten-free pasta cooks best when cut into strips.
4. Let the pasta dry for a few minutes, and then add to boiling water. Boil for a few minutes depending on the size of your pasta. It shouldn’t take more than five minutes, so taste to make sure.
5. Drain the pasta and serve. It's great with homemade or jarred sauces of all types.
Fresh gluten-free pasta can be made from a blend of different flours. Try out half tapioca and half rice flour blended together. Remember that fresh noodles take much less time to cook than dried, so they’re not ideal for baked dishes.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...