How To Make Gmail Default Email
If you are trying to figure out how to make Gmail your default email, this article will show you how to in a few simple steps. Gmail is used by over 250 million people and is the most popular email program. If you are on a website and you click on an email address Gmail doesn’t come open. After you finish with the below steps it will.
- You will need to download Gmail Notifier. The Gmail Notifier is an application that will alert you when you have new Gmail messages. You will have an icon in your system tray and it lets you know if you have unread messages and shows you enough about the email without having to open a browser
- Do a Google search for Gmail Notifier. Next you need to download the installation file to your desktop.
- Click on the install file and install the program. During the installation be sure to select the option Use for outgoing mail. This allows Gmail to send mail from links on the web, which means when you are on a website and click on a link to email someone a Gmail compose window will come up.
- Finish the installation and once it is finished installing Gmail will now be your default email program. Gmail will be your default email program for any browser that you use (Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer, etc.).
- You should see an icon for Gmail Notifier in your system tray. Right click on this icon and select options.
- The Gmail Notifier window will open. Check to be sure the check box next to Use Gmail for internet mailto:links is checked. If there is not a check in this box then click on it to put a check there and click OK. This should already be checked but if it’s not then it’s okay. We just need to make sure because if it’s not checked then Gmail will not be set as your default email.
Make Gmail your Default Email for Mac
- First you need to download Gmail Notifier for Mac. Make sure the installation file you download is for Mac and not Windows.
- Find the file you downloaded in the previous step. Click on the file and install Gmail Notifier.
- Now open the Gmail Notifier and click the mail icon. From the mail icon choose Preferences and click the Gmail tab and choose Gmail as the program from the compose mail in the drop down menu.
Now when you click on an email link in either Mac or in Windows the Gmail compose window will open.