How To Make A Good Indian Curry
Learn how to cook a good Indian curry right here. A good Indian curry must be made with original ingredients and not store bought. This recipe is all about home cooking and originality. This article has a good recipe for Indian chicken curry, a recipe for garam masala and a recipe for naan bread.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/4 cup ghee or clarified butter
- 2 Tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced thinly
- 1 large bell pepper, sliced
- 3 large potatoes, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 inches fresh garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeno chilies, chopped finely
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon garam masala
- 2 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- Handful curry leaves
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Place the ghee and oil in a large skillet and heat. Add in the sliced onions, bell pepper and chicken pieces.
- Cook the chicken until lightly browned and the veggies are soft. Add in the ginger, garlic, chilies and cook a few minutes more.
- Add in the garam masala, bay leaf, salt, pepper, tomato paste and the chicken stock. Mix well and cook for five minutes.
- Add in the chopped potatoes, coconut milk and yogurt. Add in the curry leaves and lemon juice.
- Cook the curry until the chicken is tender and the potatoes soft. Serve this good Indian curry over a bed of basmati rice. Traditional Indian curry is served with naan bread, recipe below.
Garam Masala Recipe
- 1/4 cup coriander seeds
- 2 Tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 large cinnamon pieces
- 2 Tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 2 teaspoons cardamom seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Pinch of nutmeg, ground
- 1/2 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
- Place all the seeds and whole spices on a baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees for ten minutes or until you can smell the aroma of the spices coming through.
- Put all the spices in a coffee grinder and grind. Store in an airtight container.
- Use this garam masala with the good curry recipe or any Indian or Pakistan recipe you may have.
- 5 cups flour
- 2 packages instant yeast
- Pinch salt
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- Put the flour, instant yeast, salt, baking soda and sugar in a bowl and mix. Place the yogurt and milk on the stove and warm slightly. Gently add the yogurt to the flour and mix together.
- Add in additional warm water as needed. Knead the batter for six to ten minutes or use a dough hook.
- Cover the bread mixture with a little olive oil. Take a large bowl and cover the naan bread and let the bread rise for one hour or until doubled.
- Divide the dough into eight servings. Roll each piece out to an oblong pancake shape and place on greased baking sheet.
- Cover the bread for fifteen minutes before baking. Bake in a very hot 450 degree oven until brown and done.
- Naan bread can be served with a good Indian curry or beside any lunch you want. Naan bread is easy to make and bake.