How To Make A Grave Blanket
A nice craft project for your loved one's grave is learning how to make a grave blanket. A grave blanket was traditionally made with evergreen branches and ribbon. It was used to cover the grave, like a blanket, in cold weather. Grave blankets are now used for holidays or special occasions and are not difficult to make.
To make a four foot by six foot grave blanket you will need:
- A piece of styrofoam, 2 foot by 3 foot by 6 inches
- Chicken wire, 4 foot square
- Evergreen branches ( 20, 14, 8, and 6 inches)
- Florist wire
- Florist picks
- Wire cutters
- Weather proof bow and ribbon
- Hot glue
- Embellishments (ornaments, flowers, toys)
- Wrap the chicken around the styrofoam. Use florist wire to secure it.
- Stick the twenty inch branches around the bottom of the styrofoam about every four inches, all around the base. Continue with another layer of twenty inch branches. Place these above the base layer and positioned them between the lower branches.
- Use the fourteen inch branches to complete the next row. Fill holes by alternating the placement of the branches above the previous row. The ten inch branches should be placed in the next row.
- Attach floral picks to the eight inch branches. Use these branches to fill in the top of the grave blanket and any bare spots.
- Add the weather proof ribbon and bow with florist wire. Complete the grave blanket with any other embellishments that you choose. You can use florist wire or hot glue to attach the pieces to the blanket.
- Check with the cemetery about using grave blankets, before you start this project. Some cemeteries will not allow the use of grave blankets or have special requirements regarding them. Use artificial evergreens for a grave blanket that you can reuse each year.
- Don't use expensive items on your blankets. They can be easily taken.