How To Make A Healthy Eating Meal Plan
Learn how to make a healthy eating meal plan by choosing the right foods. Eating well is all about finding a balance to make sure all your nutritional needs are met. This means incorporating nutrient-rich foods into the healthy eating meal plan, while eliminating foods that serve no beneficial purpose (otherwise known as junk food). Healthy eating is not that difficult. Use the following tips to make your own meal plan.
- Start with the veggies. A healthy diet plan should include at least three to five servings of vegetables every day. Decide when these servings will be included in your meals. Vegetables that are low in calories and rich in nutrients and fiber can easily be a large part of your diet. Ironically, vegetables are the least consumed food group. For example, have sliced tomatoes and avocado with your eggs at breakfast, snack on carrot and cucumbers at lunch and eat a green salad with dinner. Try to eat dark green vegetables, orange or red veggies, and purple vegetables as often as possible.
- Incorporate the whole grains. Another foundational aspect of the healthy eating meal plan is whole grains. Design your eating around whole wheat bread and pasta, oatmeal, barley, brown rice and other nutrient-rich, non-refined products. Most people get enough of this food group; however, it is simply a matter of focusing on whole rather than refined grains.
- Good protein—what? Low-fat protein sources, such as seafood, chicken, turkey, tofu, eggs, beans, nuts and seeds are also a valuable part of a well-balanced diet. How much should be included in a healthy eating meal plan? A moderately active adult should consume about six or seven ounces of protein a day. A sample day would include two eggs, one cup of cooked beans and a three ounce piece of fish.
- Drink milk. It's hard to make a balanced meal plan without calcium-rich dairy products. The average adult needs about three cups of milk, yogurt or cheese each day.
- Snack on fruits. To get enough fruit each day (at least two cups) plan on snacking on fresh fruit throughout the day. Add a banana to breakfast. Snack on sliced melon or berries during the day and enjoy fresh grapes for dessert.
Now that you know how to make a healthy eating meal plan, there is no excuse not to start eating well. Making this lifestyle change will not only beneficial, but also enjoyable. Have fun cooking healthy meals and designing interesting plans. There are so many wonderful and versatile fruits, vegetables, grains and lean proteins that your meal plan can always be delicious.