How To Make Healthy Lunch Foods
Tired of eating fattening fast food and want to know how to make healthy lunch foods? Changing an unhealthy eating pattern is actually very easy to do, and when you choose recipes that require very little prep time, there’s no reason not to start eating healthy lunch foods right away!
- The heart-healthy sandwich. Why get calorie-laden takeout food when you can make your own delicious and healthy sandwich in a flash? Grab two slices of whole wheat or whole grain bread and layer them with a few slices of lean deli meat, one slice of reduced-fat cheese and lots of your favorite veggies, like romaine lettuce, sprouts, cucumbers, mushrooms, bell peppers, onions and more. For a nice dose of healthy fat, spread a thin layer of avocado on your sandwich in place of mayonnaise. Not only will it give your sandwich a delicious flavor, it may also help lower your risk for heart disease. Pair your sandwich with a piece of fruit and some baby carrots and you have a great recipe for a healthy lunch food you can prepare fast and easy.
- The better burrito. Used to eating fattening fast food burritos for lunch that leave you feeling sluggish and ready for a nap? Make your own burritos that will not only keep you satiated longer, but will also become one of your favorite healthy lunch foods thanks to their delicious taste. You’ll need a whole-wheat tortilla, black beans, reduced or non-fat cheese, jalapenos, green and red bell peppers, onions and your favorite type of salsa. You can opt to microwave your burrito for those times when you need a fast, yet healthy lunch option, or cook it in the oven when you have a little extra time and desire a crunchier burrito. Black beans are low in fat, but high in protein and fiber, making this lunch option extremely healthy.
- The satiating salad. Salads aren’t just for girls. In fact, salads are a fantastic way to get in a couple servings of veggies, and if you make them correctly, they can pack quite the protein punch as well. Use romaine lettuce; your favorite protein, such as lean chicken, tuna, or even salmon; broccoli; tomatoes; olives; jalapenos; bell peppers and onions, and top it off with a reduced-fat dressing and you’ve got a great healthy lunch food option for the hungry guy on the go!
- The healthy “hamburger.” Next time you’re craving a burger, don’t fret, it can still be part of your new healthy lunch food plan with one slight modification. Try using a veggie burger instead of beef; you’ll cut a huge amount of calories and fat and still get a great amount of protein. If you want to use a bun, opt for whole wheat, and layer your burger with your favorite veggies. Pair your "burger" with reduced fat chips or baby carrots for a healthy lunch choice any man will love.
- The pragmatic protein plate. For those times when you’re stuck working at your desk during your lunch hour, skipping a meal altogether is a bad idea, but so is grabbing fast food. Bring your lunch to work on days like this to ensure you have healthy lunch foods handy that are easy to eat at your desk. A protein plate is a great idea. Bring a hard-boiled egg, a string cheese stick, almonds, a mini bagel and a nut butter (almond or sunflower butters are great choices due to their lower sugar contents, yet they still offer a good amount of protein). This quick and easy lunch is high in protein, extremely low in prep time and is a very healthy choice for the busiest of days.
Eating healthy is a choice you get to make every day. Once you begin to make healthier food choices, you’ll start to crave food that is good for you. Swap out your fast food lunch for healthy lunch foods and see what a difference it can make for your mind, body and soul.