How To Make Healthy Macaroni And Cheese
Macaroni and cheese is a favorite among many children and adults but most of us do not know how to make healthy macaroni and cheese. But all you really have to do is add a few of your favorite vegetables and use ingredients that are low in fat. So just give it a try, it’s time to start making healthy Mac and cheese for you and your family.
- 1 16 oz package of whole grain elbow macaroni
- 1 cup low fat cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 1/2 green pepper diced
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1/2 tomato diced
- 1/2 cup fat free milk
- In a large pot bring water to a boil.
- Add about one tablespoon of salt and whole grain macaroni. Allow to cook for about ten minutes or until soft.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain macaroni and return to pot.
- Add low fat milk and some cheese.
- Turn heat on low and stir well to allow the macaroni and cheese to blend together.
- Add diced green pepper, red pepper and tomato to macaroni and cheese.
- Season with a little more salt and pepper. Test to make sure it is seasoned properly; you may need to add more salt, pepper or milk.
- Remove from heat.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Put your macaroni and cheese into the baking dish and sprinkle the top with any remaining cheese.
- Allow macaroni and cheese to cook for about twenty minutes or until the cheese on top is melted.
- Remove and allow your macaroni and cheese to cool.
- Serve macaroni and cheese with a salad or grilled chicken.