How To Make Heart Healthy Super Bowl Snacks
Need to know how to make heart-healthy Super Bowl snacks? Super Bowl snacks are often greasy, salty and cheesy—anything but heart-healthy. If you want to give your Super Bowl party guests a great spread of food but keep it healthy at the same time, check out some of these heart-healthy snack ideas.
One great idea for a healthy Super Bowl snack is a dark chocolate fondue with fruits for dipping. To make this heart-healthy snack, you will need:
- A sauce pan
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Low-fat (2%) milk
- Dark chocolate, finely chopped
- Assorted fruits and dried fruits
- Warm one cup of milk in a sauce pan. Place the milk over medium heat until simmering.
- Sift together one cup cocoa powder and 2/3 cup sugar. Whisk the mixture into the milk until smooth.
- Add four ounces chopped dark chocolate to the milk mixture. Stir until melted.
- Serve to your Super Bowl party guests while warm. Use pieces of fruit as dippers, like pineapple chunks, strawberries and dried apricots.
If you and your fellow Super Bowl party-goers love the thrill of the grill, grilled vegetables make a great heart-healthy snack for your feast. To prepare these, you will need:
- Zucchini and other squash
- Baby portobello mushrooms
- Extra virgin olive oil
- A basting brush
- Dried Italian seasoning
- Preheat the grill to moderate to high heat. Cut the vegetables into strips or slices.
- Brush all sides of the vegetables with olive oil as you place them on the grill. You may wish to season the vegetables with salt and pepper at this time as well.
- Cook until tender. This should take approximately three to five minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the vegetables.
- Arrange the vegetables on a platter. Garnish with Italian seasoning, and serve as a heart-healthy Super Bowl snack.