Learning how to make herbal feta cheese at home will ensure the freshest product available and save money without purchasing expensive commercially produced products. Making herbal feta cheese is time-consuming, taking about three days start to finish, but is well worth it. Herbal feta cheese can be made without expensive equipment and supplies, but must be in an area with consistent temperature.
Supplies Needed to Make Herbal Feta Cheese
- Stock Pot with Lid
- Meat Thermometer
- Wooden Dowel or Yard Stick
- Wood Blocks or Bricks
Ingredients Needed to Make Herbal Feta Cheese
- 2 quarts Whole Raw, Unpasteurized Goat Milk
- 1 ounce Mesophilic Culture (MM DVI or MA DVI)
- ¼ cup Cold Water
- 3 drops Rennet
- 1 Tablespoon Basil
- 1 Tablespoon Dill Weed
- 1 Tablespoon Caraway Seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Chives
Procedures to Make Herbal Feta Cheese
- Heat milk in a stock pot over medium low heat. Place thermometer in pot and heat to 72 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stir in mesophilic culture. Retain an even temperature of 72 degrees.
- Measure water in a ½ cup measuring cup. Place rennet drops into water and stir. Add 1 Tablespoon of rennet-water mixture to heated milk. Stir well.
- Cover and allow milk to set. Maintain temperature at 72 degrees. Allow to set for 18 hours so the milk coagulates.
- Combine basil, dill weed, caraway seeds and chives. Mix or shake together and set aside.
- Prepare for feta cheese draining. Determine a convenient spot to drain cheese, such as an unused sink. Stack blocks or bricks on both sides of sink. Lay dowel across the top of blocks. These should be stacked high enough to allow cheese cloth to hang without touching the bottom.
- Cut and fold cheesecloth. Cut large squares or rectangles and fold for triple thickness.
- Scoop cheese curds into prepared cheesecloth. Sprinkle with desired amount of herb mixture. Fold cheesecloth up around curds.
- Hang cheesecloth on dowel, tying the ends around the dowel. Allow cheesecloth to drain for 2 days. Maintain and even temperature of 72 degrees while draining.
- Remove cheese from cheesecloth. The cheese will have shrunk and be firm. Wrap cheese in cellophane and place in a plastic food storage container.
- Store herbal feta cheese in refrigerator for up to two weeks.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.