Learn how to make Herbal Pita bread at home for those times you can't find Herbal Pita bread in the grocery store. With a few simple ingredients and a little elbow grease, you can fill your home with the smell of fresh-baked Herbal Pita bread.
Ingredients for Herbal Pita Bread:
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees)
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose or bread flour
- 1 tbsp. parsley
- 1 tsp. tarragon
- 1/2 tsp. celery seed
- Mix together the yeast, sugar and warm water and let sit until foamy.
- Add salt and olive oil to yeast mixture.
- Mix together flours and herbs in a large bowl.
- Add yeast mixture until well combined.
- Form into a log and cut into ten equal sized pieces.
- Taking one piece of dough, roll in your hands making a slightly flat disc shape. Push your thumb into the middle then fold the edges into the middle until you have a smooth ball.
- Place the dough on slightly floured surface, smooth side up and cover with a dry cloth, then cover with a damp cloth. Repeat until all dough balls are made. Let rise for one hour.
- Roll each dough ball into a flat, round, six-inch shape.
- Place on floured baking sheet and cover with a dry cloth then a damp cloth again. Let rise for one hour.
- Bake at 475º F for five to six minutes. Turn oven to broil and brown for one minute or until brown. Allow oven to return to 475º before baking the next batch.
Let cool and stuff with hummus, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber or whatever you love.
Tips: Try these optional herb combinations:
- Italian Herbal Pita Bread: 1 tsp. garlic, 1 tsp. onion 1 tbsp. basil, and 1 tbsp. oregano
- Parmesan Herbal Pita Bread: 1 tsp. oregano, 1 tsp. basil, and 4 tbsp. parmesan cheese
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.