Learn to make herbal tea to enjoy a refreshing beverage or to use for a medicinal purpose. Many people appreciate the taste of different herbal teas, but tea can also be used for health benefits. Herbal tea can be used to help you relax or sleep. Some blends can be used in place of cough medicines. Other teas will help you detox your body or speed up your metabolism. Regardless of how you use herbal tea, take time to smell their aroma and savor their unique flavors.
- Herbal tea
- Non-metal pot
- Add two tablespoons of fresh herbs or one tablespoon of dried herbs to the pot for each cup of water. If you are making iced tea, increase to three tablespoons of fresh herbs or two tablespoons of dried herbs to compensate for the ice watering down the tea. Put the desired amount of herb tea into the non-metal pot. Metal can interfere with the purity of the flavor of the tea and should be avoided.
- Bring cool water to a boil. Pour the boiling water over the herbs. Cover the pot and allow the tea to steep for about five minutes. If you prefer a stronger brew, it is better to add more tea than to increase the time you steep the herbal tea.
- Know the purpose of brewing tea. There is one main difference between making herbal tea for personal enjoyment and tea for health benefits. For health purposes, keep the water pot covered to keep as much of the beneficial herb in the tea as possible. If you are making tea for pleasure, the aroma which escapes from an uncovered pot is part of the anticipation of your relaxing beverage.
- Strain the herbs out of the water if you used loose tea leaves. If desired, flavor the herbal teal with honey, sugar, milk or citrus fruit. Some teas are naturally sweet and will not need sugar.
- Let your doctor know you drink herbal teas if you are pregnant.
- Not all herbs are suitable for making tea, so become informed on each particular herb before ingesting a tea made from it.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
10 Social-Media Problems Ello Solves
From privacy to nudity—why the Anti-Facebook's time has come.
Beer Brain: Sam Adams’ Kosmic Mother Funk
This private-reserve beer drinks like a fine port or brandy.