Need to know how to make a highball? The highball cocktail has been around for more than 100 years, and the name likely originated around 1898 to describe a drink consisting of scotch whiskey and soda that was served in a tall glass. "Ball" was slang for a drink of whiskey and water, and "high" likely came from the use of a tall glass for serving. Together it became known as the highball, and the water was quickly replaced by soda when it became widely available. There are as many variations of highball cocktails as there are kinds of soda, but some of the more popular are whiskey and cola, gin and tonic, scotch and soda and the Cuba Libre. These cocktails are served in a traditional highball glass that has tall, straight sides, and the drinks are served over ice. The following is a recipe for the most common highball cocktail of all.
To make one traditional whiskey and cola highball cocktail, you will need:
- One highball glass (a tall glass with straight sides)
- Ice cubes
- Two ounces whiskey
- Ten ounces cola
- Add ice. Gently place the ice cubes into the bottom of a highball glass.
- Measure and pour. Measure and pour the whiskey slowly over the ice, allowing it to chill as you pour.
- Add soda. Slowly add the cola to the glass, pouring slowly to avoid causing the foam to overflow the glass.
- Stir and serve. Stir lightly with a cocktail stirrer and serve.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert ...
What Makes Men Attractive to Women
What women want—confidence, a sense of humor and abs.