How To Make Hiking Cane
To have an easier hike, learn how to make a hiking cane. Sometimes terrain can be hard to get over and a hiking cane really comes in handy. Hiking canes can be made from many materials, but if you are already on a hike you have to work with supplies that are readily available.
To make a hiking cane, you will need:
- some type of branch or very small tree
- Select a branch that is lightweight but sturdy. Some branches have been laying around for a while and are brittle or decomposing. If you are not on your own property, don't cut branches off of trees, just look around and you'll find something you can use already down on the ground. If you find something that has a natural Y at the top that would be even better.
- If you can snap off one end of the branch to make the cane the length you want, do so. You may need to use your knife to get the appropriate length.
- Use the knife to clean up the cane. Remove any other limbs or twigs on the main branch you are working with.
- If you have any leather or rope style string, attach it at the top of the cane. Use the knife to either make a hole at the top of the cane or cut a slot in the cane to fit the string in. Loop the string around and tie it at the ends. This makes a sturdy location for your hand.
That is pretty much it. The only thing left for you to do is enjoy the hike!