How To Make Homemade Laundry Soap
Need to know how to make homemade laundry soap? Making your own laundry soap is something that is both cheaper on the budget and really easy to do. Using homemade soap also helps save the Earth because it means fewer plastic bottles that you need to purchase, so that’s fewer going into the landfill.
To make your own homemade laundry detergent, you will need:
- A five-gallon bucket, with lid
- A large mixing stick
- A cooking pot
- An old laundry detergent bottle
- 5 cups hot water
- Additional hot water
- 1 bar of soap
- 1 cup washing soda
- 3/4 cup borax
- Chop up the soap. You can either chop up your bar of soap or you can use a grater. It’s just as easy to grab a knife and a cutting board and chop up your bar of soap into small pieces.
- Add your chopped soap pieces into your cooking pan. Pour your five cups of hot water over the soap pieces and let sit for a few minutes.
- Cook your soap mixture over low heat. You will need to cook this mixture for several minutes depending on how well you chopped your pieces. Continue cooking while stirring until your mixture is smooth and there are no soap chunks left.
- Fill your bucket halfway with hot tap water. Add your borax and washing soda to the bucket of water and stir well. Make sure to get the mixture completely stirred up until all the powder is dissolved.
- Add your homemade laundry soap mixture to your bucket. Once again, you need to make sure you stir well.
- Fill the rest of the bucket with hot tap water. Stir well and replace the lid.
- Let your homemade mixture rest for 24 hours before separating into a laundry bottle. Fill your bottle with half of the mixture and then the other half with hot water. Shake well.
If you like your laundry soap to have a little scent, then you can add any type of scented oil to your homemade mixture once it’s ready. Shake your mixture before each use as it will form a gel in the bottle, so you want to make sure you get an even amount of everything.