Menudo is a delicious Mexican soup that is full of flavor and texture and knowing how to make homemade menudo is a fun recipe to learn. It is a very simple soup to make and only requires a few ingredients. The best menudo has been thoroughly cleaned and therefore will not have a “fishy” odor. This menudo recipe is very simple and is a great cure for a hangover. Prepare the night before drinking and you will wake up to a delicious soup that eases any aches, pains, or upset stomach from the night before. This soup is very common in Mexican culture and is used for this very purpose. Menudo can also be made using dried chiles, but this way is easiest and tastes just as great. The key is allowing the menudo to simmer for long enough to allow the meat to become tender. Invite some friends over after a long night of drinking to enjoy this excellent hangover cure.
Ingredients for Soup:
- 2 lb honeycomb tripe. This can be found at any Latin grocery store and some large chains.
- 1 package menudo flavoring. This can be found at any Latin grocery store in the spice section. It is usually packaged in a plastic bag.
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 cans of hominy
- 3 tbsp Oregano
- Finely chopped onions
- Lemon wedges
- Thinly sliced cabbage
- Rinse meat thoroughly under running water. Continue doing this for at least five minutes.
- Use kitchen scissors to cut menudo meat into two inch pieces.
- Saute the onions in olive oil until clear.
- Fill up a large pot with water, about twelve cups or so. Add one tablespoon of menudo mix flavoring for every two cups of water (about six tablespoons).
- Add cut up menudo meat, oregano, and whole garlic cloves to a large pot.
- Boil on high for one hour.
- Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer overnight or for about eight hours.
- Add drained hominy to soup and cook for thirty minutes or so. Meat should be tender and melt in your mouth.
- Add salt to taste and add more menudo mix if you desire to. Arrange your garnishes on a large plate. Pour menudo into a large bowl and enjoy.
The menudo will probably need more water since it has to boil for so long. Keep checking it and adding water as needed. When the menudo is ready you may need to add more menudo flavor since the added water will dilute your flavor.
Simmer on very low, probably the lowest setting you have. Tip the lid to your pot to prevent the menudo from boiling over and creating a huge mess.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
The Gentleman’s Guide to Online Gaming
Get into FPSs and MOBAs without getting your ass kicked… too much.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.