There are many reasons to make homemade relish. It is cost effective, relatively simple, and produces a fresh flavor that is not available in purchased relish. When you make homemade relish, you can achieve customized flavor and taste based on personal preference. Relish can either be sweet, sour, spicy hot, or altered to fit individual taste buds.
People are most familiar with traditional pickle relish; however you can make homemade relish from a variety of fruits and vegetables.
Supplies Needed to Make Homemade Relish
· Cutting board
· Large pot
Ingredients Needed to Make Homemade Relish
· 1/3 cup sugar
· 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
· ½ cup vinegar
· ½ cup water
· 1 package frozen corn, 10 ounce
· 2 Tablespoons celery
· 2 Tablespoons sweet red bell pepper
· 2 Tablespoons sweet green bell pepper
· 1 Tablespoon sweet onion
· 1 teaspoon turmeric
· 1 teaspoon dry mustard
Procedures to Make Homemade Relish
1. Thaw corn and chop vegetables to approximately the same size as the corn kernels.
2. Combine sugar, cornstarch, vinegar and water in a pot, mixing well. Add remaining ingredients.
3. Cook over medium heat until mixture is thick and bubbling, stirring constantly.
4. Continue to cook and stir an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate for up to 6 weeks.
Tips and Variations to Use When You Make Homemade Relish
Relish can be made with any combination of vegetables or fruits. Always choose fresh, in season, produce to make homemade relish.
When fresh corn is in season, use 10 ounces of cooked corn kernels, cut from the cob in place of frozen corn to make homemade relish.
To make a simple pickle relish, use sweet pickles for a sweet relish or dill pickles for sour flavor. Finely chop the pickles and add chopped sweet red peppers, sweet green peppers and onion. Season with salt and pepper or sugar. Refrigerate overnight to combine flavors.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.