There are several easy ways to make homemade rum and here is a simple recipe to show you how to make homemade rum. The ingredients are easy to find and it is not difficult to prepare. With a little patience you can have a supply of homemade rum to drink or bake with because there are all kinds of rum cakes, cookies, and, the best of all, rum balls!!
- Bottle of distilled water
- 1 pack baker’s yeast
- 1 to 2 pounds granulated sugar
- 8 ounces molasses
- A pot
- Mix sugar, molasses, and 2/3 of water in a pot, heat and mix until dissolved. Turn off.
- Remove ½ cup of mixture and mix in yeast. The mix should start to foam.
- Add the mix with yeast to remaining water. Shake lightly.
- Add mix from the pot to the bottle.
- Make an airlock with a balloon. Place a balloon securely over the top of the bottle after making a couple of pin holes in it.
- Let mix sit for a few days until bubbling becomes minimal or stops.
What you need:
- 10 feet ¼” copper tubing
- A couple of copper couplings
- Old pressure cooker
- 2 gallon bucket
- Bag of ice
- Waterproof sealant (silicon)
- Wrap copper tubing around paint bucket to form a coil. Leave space at one end to fit into the pressure cooker.
- Bore a hole on the side close to the bottom big enough to put the copper tubing in.
- Cut off about a foot of tubing and connect it to the pressure cooker with couplings and seal.
- About 3 or 4 inches from where the tubing connects to the pressure cooker make a 90 degree bend.
- Put the copper coil into the bucket and put the end through the hole in the bucket using a sealant to make it waterproof.
- Connect the coil to the foot of tubing using a coupling.
- Put fermented mixture in pressure cooker and cover. Heat the mixture on high and then reduce heat to medium.
- Start adding cold water and ice to the bucket with the coil. Keep adding ice as it melts.
- Throw away the first few drops that come out of the tubing. Catch the remaining drops as they exit the tubing. When the drops stop coming out, distilling is complete. This takes about an hour. To make the mixture clearer (like vodka) distill it two or three times. If you want to make some to age, just double or triple the recipe.
Some Interesting Facts:
- Yeast converts the sugar into alcohol.
- Molasses provides not only the sugar and flavor, but the nutrients that allow the yeast to flourish.
- The first few drops of distilled liquid are methanol and should be discarded.
- Silicon will stop leaks but you can also use flour glue.
- Try the recipe with honey instead of sugar for a different flavor.
- Add fruit to the fermenting mixture for a different taste.
- The rum from the recipe is very strong so go easy!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
25 Rules of Style Every Man Should Follow
Wear by them.