Before spending money on a store-bought model, learn how to make a homemade television antenna from items you already have at home. A homemade antenna is a fun do-it-yourself project that is simple to complete. And it can work quite well for receiving your local television channels if you do not have a cable television subscription.
To make a television antenna at home, gather the following supplies:
- Speaker wire
- Wire cutter
- Large sewing needle
- Electrical tape
- Wire coat hanger
- Aluminum foil
- Strip the speaker wire. Start with a speaker wire that is at least three feet long. Using wire cutters, strip one-half inch of casing from each end of the wire.
- Attach the speaker wire to a needle. Wrap one end of the speaker wire around the middle of a large sewing needle. Use electrical tape to secure the speaker wire tightly to the needle.
- Attach the speaker wire to a hanger. Wrap the other end of the speaker wire around a wire coat hanger. Use electrical tape to secure the speaker wire tightly to the hanger. Bend the hanger in half to form a "V" shape.
- Insert the needle into the television UHF port. Insert the sewing needle into the UHF port on the back of your television. Use a needle that is large enough for a tight fit.
- Create a foil reflector. Wrap aluminum foil around a piece of cardboard that is cut slightly larger than the antenna. Use electrical tape to secure the foil to the cardboard. Lean the foil-wrapped cardboard against a wall to serve as a reflector. This will strengthen the television reception.
- Adjust the antenna. Turn on the television and adjust your homemade antenna for a clear picture. Experiment with your antenna’s location and direction for the best television reception.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.