Why save the little packets from the local fast food joint, when you can learn how to make hot taco sauce in a few easy steps? Hot taco sauce is an essential condiment for an authentic Tex-Mex experience. This hot taco sauce recipe takes only a few minutes to put together. It can be adjusted to your personal level of heat and provides a bold blend of spices. So whether you like it just a little caliente or you prefer a five alarm sauce, this recipe is perfect. Impress your friends at your next fiesta with this spicy hot taco sauce.
To make hot taco sauce, you will need:
- 1 can (8 ounces) unseasoned tomato sauce, preferably no-salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (Use Mexican oregano if possible.)
- 1.5 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Cayenne pepper, Tabasco or habenero sauce to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Mix all the ingredients except the hot seasoning (cayenne, Tabasco or habenero) together in a saucepan over low heat until warm. Stirring occasionally. Heating the sauce brings out the natural oils in the spices and intensifies the flavors.
- Gradually add in the hot seasoning of your choice, tasting as you go. If you are feeling adventurous, try a blend of the hot seasonings. Stir the hot seasonings in thoroughly.
- Use the hot taco sauce warm, or allow the sauce to cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate any unused portion.
This hot taco sauce will keep up to a week in the refrigerator. It tastes best when it is warmed before serving and can be reheated in the microwave. It also makes a great sauce for wings!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.